Wednesday 15 July 2015

Is It Time to Rethink the Desktop Phone?


Now this comment is true mainly because I am in the technology field, but I often get into the conversation around desk phones versus, well, whatever the alternative is. At one point I thought as many others did, and that the desk phone was dead. No one wanted to spend the money on a piece of hardware that would sit there and collect dust. I have actually had CEO’s and President’s come up to me and say they want all phones removed from our quotes because no one wants a desk phone anymore. While I applaud the notion that we are evolving into something new, I believe that the desk phone will be with us for the foreseeable future. I am up to debate this, and I will also debate it with myself; but even through all of the hype over the latest smartphone, softphones, and how no one can live without these devices when you go to the office a desk phone is still there waiting for you.

Where do I see the change happening soon? As a sales person on the road I never want to see a desk phone. Simply because there is no point. As a service technician of any nature I never want to see a desk phone. Again, a headset on a mobile is better. Given the way technology can adapt and integrate, this makes perfect sense. Now, as someone who is tied to your desk, say inside sales or accounting then desk phones should still exist. Well, even then some would argue but I say bring the argument on. I enjoy talking about the merits of how the world will change because Apple came out with a new device and ShoreTel has a dock for it. Oh wait…I have an Android.

Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment